The Death of An Irish Chieftain – (#705)
In this special musical episode of the Letter from Ireland Podcast we celebrate the music of the Irish traditional group known as The Chieftains.
In this special musical episode of the Letter from Ireland Podcast we celebrate the music of the Irish traditional group known as The Chieftains. Following the death of their leader late last year, Paddy Moloney, we have come to the end of a musical career that has seen The Chieftains popularise Irish music around the globe and mix it magnificently with so many other musical genres. Their music, however, will live on!
You can listen to the show on your computer/smartphone by clicking on the play button above (the triangle with the circle around it). You can also download the show onto your computer by clicking on the download symbol. Enjoy!
The Letter from Ireland Show is a weekly podcast that goes out each Thursday from our cottage in County Cork. Tune in to this episode – and dive straight in to a bit of Irish caint, ceóil agus craic (conversation, music and craic!).
Related Articles and Links
- This episode features the following music:
- “Star of The County Down” performed by Van Morrison and The Chieftains.
- “The Dingle Set” performed by The Voice Squad and The Chieftains.
- “The Wabash Cannonball” performed by Ricky Skaggs and The Chieftains.
- “Nobody’s Darlin But Mine” performed by Emmy Lou Harris and The Chieftains.
- “The Foggy Dew” performed by Sinéad O’Connor and The Chieftains.
- “Tennessee Waltz” performed by Tom Jones and The Chieftains.
- “Guadalupe” performed by Los Lobos, Linda Ronstadt and The Chieftains.
- “Duelling Chanters” performed by Carlos Nunez and The Chieftains.
- “Jordan Am a Hard Road To Travel” performed by John Prine and The Chieftains.
- “My Lagan Love” performed by Lisa Hannigan and The Chieftains.
- “Hard Times Come Again No More” performed by Paulo Nutini and The Chieftains.
- “Did You Ever Go a Courtin?/Shall The circle” performed by The Chieftains and Friends.
- Not a member of The Green Room yet? You can see more about The Green Room here.
- “A Letter from Ireland: Volume 3” – is available from Amazon.com here OR Amazon.ca here OR Amazon.co.uk here OR Amazon.com.au here.
- See All Current Available Episodes of the Letter from Ireland Show.
This Episode is Brought to You by:
The Green Room! The Green Room is run by Irish people, out of Ireland – and focused on people of Irish ancestry all over the world. We know Irish culture, history, the language – and many of the issues people have with understanding complex Irish Heritage and Ancestry. While genealogy record sites bring you part of the way – we’ll bring you all the way home! So, break down those Irish Ancestry Brick Walls when you join today – see all about the Green Room here.
Thank You For Listening
We really appreciate you choosing to listen to us and for supporting the podcast. If you enjoyed today’s show, please share it using the social media buttons on this page.
We would also be eternally grateful if you would consider taking a minute or two to leave an honest review and rating for the show in iTunes. They’re extremely helpful when it comes to reaching our audience and we read each and every one personally!
Finally, don’t forget to subscribe to the podcast in iTunes to make sure that you never miss an episode. Do feel free to leave a comment or question in the section below. We’d love to hear from you!
Slán for now, Mike and Carina.
Sorry, we couldn't find any posts. Please try a different search.