The Tithe Applotment Books – 7 Questions and 7 Answers – (#605)
Join Mike and our head genealogist in The Green Room, Jayne McGarvey, as we chat about the usefulness of the Irish “Tithe Applotment Books” when discovering more about the location and lives of your Irish ancestors during the early 1800s.
You can listen to the show on your computer/smartphone by clicking on the play button above (the triangle with the circle around it). You can also download the show onto your computer by clicking on the download symbol. Enjoy!
Welcome to Season 6, Episode 5 of the Letter from Ireland Show.
Join Mike and Jayne McGarvey as we chat about the “Tithe Applotment Books” and discovering more about the location and lives of your Irish ancestors during the early 1800s.
The Letter from Ireland Show is a weekly podcast that goes out each Thursday from our cottage in County Cork. Tune in to this episode – and dive straight in to a bit of Irish caint, ceóil agus craic (conversation, music and craic!).
In This Podcast – Mike asks Jayne McGarvey the following 7 Questions:
- What is the problem that makes the Tithe applotments a useful solution for Irish family history researchers.
- What exactly are the “Tithe Applotment Books” – what was their purpose and history?
- Where can they be accessed these days?
- What kind of information is inside the tithe applotments that would be useful to Irish family history researchers?
- What are the limitations of the tithe applotments?
- I recently did a letter (see below) showing my family’s presence in one Irish townland stretching from the 1911 census back to the tithe applotments. Can we chat through that and the connections to other record sets?
- Wrapping up – what would you recommend people to do next?
Related Articles and Links
- Mike’s Letter on The Tithe Applotments can be found here.
- For Green Room members – here is Jayne McGarvey’s Workshop on using the Tithe Applotment Books.
- Tithe Applotment Books at the National Library of Ireland.
- Samuel Lewis Topigraphical Dictionary of Ireland.
- Not a member of The Green Room yet? You can see more about The Green Room here.
- “A Letter from Ireland: Volume 3” – is available from Amazon.com here OR Amazon.ca here OR Amazon.co.uk here OR Amazon.com.au here.
- See All Current Available Episodes of the Letter from Ireland Show.
This Episode is Brought to You by:
The Green Room! The Green Room is run by Irish people, out of Ireland – and focused on people of Irish ancestry all over the world. We know Irish culture, history, the language – and many of the issues people have with understanding complex Irish Heritage and Ancestry. While genealogy record sites bring you part of the way – we’ll bring you all the way home! So, break down those Irish Ancestry Brick Walls when you join today – see all about the Green Room here.
Thank You For Listening
We really appreciate you choosing to listen to us and for supporting the podcast. If you enjoyed today’s show, please share it using the social media buttons on this page.
We would also be eternally grateful if you would consider taking a minute or two to leave an honest review and rating for the show in iTunes. They’re extremely helpful when it comes to reaching our audience and we read each and every one personally!
Finally, don’t forget to subscribe to the podcast in iTunes to make sure that you never miss an episode. Do feel free to leave a comment or question in the section below. We’d love to hear from you!
Slán for now, Mike and Carina.